- the comfortable city
Located in a picturesque setting and even more attractive thanks to its proximity to the prettiest wine villages in Alsace, Colmar delights every visitor. Close to Basel and Strasbourg, situated on the Vosges and the Rhine, Colmar has all the best that that Alsace has to offer. Art and history are incomparable here, and the atmosphere is very relaxed. Shaped by its glamorous past in the Middle Ages and the Early Modern era, the city has been able to maintain its rich architectural heritage, together with the good human spirit of the city and friendly cooperation of its people.
Did you know that Auguste Bartholdi, sculptor and inventor of the Statue of Liberty in New York, came from Colmar? For the culture enthusiasts among you, Colmar boasts several museums, such as the Unterlinden Museum with the Isenheim Altarpiece; the Bartholdi Museum and the Spielzeugmuseum (toy museum). Colmar is famous for having retained its unique historic city centre. Wandering through the pedestrianized streets and over bridges adorned with flowers allows you to soak up the special atmosphere that makes Colmar a true living museum.
Attractions in the city
- Petite Venise : half-timbered houses along the Lauch stream.
- Quai de la Poissonnerie : most famous photographic motif of the city.
- Maison des Têtes : facade dating back to 1609 with 111 small heads.
Excursions from Colmar in the tri-national region
- Breisach : pretty town on the Rhine with a 4000-year history
- Ribeauvillé : picturesque village set among the vineyards
- Legionärspfad (Legionnaire’s Trail) Vindonissa : experience Roman history up close