- The car and textile printing city
Ideally located between the Rhine river and the Vosges mountains, Mulhouse is an insiders’ tip: the city will surprise you! Mulhouse has the charm of Alsace and with its fast transportation links tourists have the opportunity to quickly visit neighbouring Switzerland and Germany.
Mulhouse draws on a unique past and an industrial heritage from the 18th and 19th century. These testimonies of a technologically and technically vast history are showcased in unique museums, which attract visitors from all over the world: the textile printing museum, automobile museum, wallpaper museum and train museum are unique collections that are only found in Mulhouse. However, the city has other cards to play: for a number of years, the city has been a centre for modern art. There is a Center for contemporary art, art college and a European biennial for young, aspiring artists.
You can go out and enjoy yourself in this cosmopolitan city. Numerous festivals take place throughout the year.
Mulhouse is a great place for shopping and wandering: international chains, small independent shops, longestablished specialist shops or modern boutiques. But there is also a lot of tradition: in many inns, known locally as winstubs, you can enjoy a glass of wine and beer with a slice of Flammkuchen – or snails, frogs’ legs, goose liver…
Take Mulhouse as your starting destination for discovering Alsace and the Black Forest. Take a museum tour to Basel, sample the regional specialities: simply let yourself be surprised!
Attractions in the city
- Place de la Réunion: church and houses from many eras.
- Automobile Museum – Schlumpf Collection: most prestigious car collection in the world.
- Textile printing museum: world-renowned textiles and patterns.
Excursions from Mulhouse in the tri-national region
- Haut-Koenigsbourg: imposing castle in Alsace with extensive views
- Via Jura: important stretch of road dating back to Roman times
- Vitra Design Museum Weil am Rhein : exclusive designer furniture